Monday, March 14, 2011

project Red...

 It was a dark and stormy night, 2 feet of snow outside, 5 feet in front of the van....ugg, I'm sitting there surfing the informertionals at about 3:30 am ...and whoa !!! here's this gorgeous vintage babe..sort of a cross between Sofia and Rene Russo. Really nice accessories, I mean, really nice accessoRies...but I digress...she says something about this great new fun motorcycle thing called a motogiro, and how you too can get in on all the fun for 3 easy payments, get your own motogiro kit.....Well I had the 800 number dialed before you could say 'unzipped leathers'.. a few days, look what showed up....yes, I have a vivid imagination.

before.....well, it really was a whole bike..


Langhorns does great work at a reasonable price.
I scored n.o.s. Honda spokes, it's nice to have a friend who is a mechanic at the local Honda dealer..I got the last of 'b' spokes in the world in the Honda database...not cheap, but if you cheap-out on this stuff, you get what you pay for.
Mufflers I bought 20 years ago, $10.00 each, in the Honda wrapper, in the Honda boxes.



Look close, yes it does say Bultaco, 12v sealed beam, fits right in the 160 rim..this will make the 'taco guys nuts !!!

I've been collecting 160 parts for years, even BI (before Internet), you know when you had to actually write a letter or call somebody. I once hooked up with a parts guy at a Honda dealer in Denver. He would send me his print-out and I would just check off part numbers ...really cheap, like $0.10 on the dollar.

So, finely decided this was the year, sent stuff out for chrome, sent stuff out for zinc, sent the head to Vintage Advantage for a valve job with n.o.s. valves and guides, 175 springs, sent the cylinder down south for 1 mm overbore...



and now it's coming together....

Radio Shack $3.00 rectifier, $1.58 heat sink ... gives it that high tech look don't you think.
I had n.o.s. shock bodies, had the lower covers chromed, the plastic tops are as they were, hopefully they won't detract too much from the overall finish.



lacing up, rims are from my friend Will, he has them made in China and these are the only parts I would buy from there, he spent 20 years there, and speaks Chinese...so keeps a close hand on quality.


Going with a Harley accel coil, the hot setup per the northwest 160 race guys. I was going to do a Pertronex pickup but have tentatively decided to stick with points, I have the parts, we'll see.



 The paint was matched to an un-opened can of 60's Honda Scarlet Red, People say it's too orange, or too red...the old Honda red is a real controversy, but this is THE color.

The silver was matched to a n.o.s. rear fender that is going on here, My friend SteveD did the paint work..also going on this are a set of n.o.s. Honda mufflers, n.o.s. seat, many n.o.s. engine parts, front fork parts, sheet metal, rear shock bodies..and n.o.s. seat.
...So the plan is to build the frame up and get it on it's wheels, I just bought a park truing stand on eGay, and then build the motor...

....Do I really need 5 Giro bikes ?,  A CB72 250 is in the queue..that will be 6.....



2 comments:

  1. Nice looking work. (Much nicer than my stuff)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you...stay tuned for more!
    I love it....great job...
    Muffler Parts

    ReplyDelete